(Update) I am graduating soon and seeking a full-time position (CV).
I am currently a PhD candidate in computer music at UC San Diego. I am jointly advised by Miller Puckette (music) and Julian McAuley (computer science). My primary research goal is to make music easier to play and understand using machine learning.
In 2013, I received a BS in computer science from the Turing Scholars Program at the University of Texas at Austin. In 2016, I received an MA in computer music from UCSD.
- Piano Genie In ACM IUI, 2019.
- Adversarial Audio Synthesis In ICLR, 2019.
- GANSynth: Adversarial Neural Audio Synthesis In ICLR, 2019.
- The NES Music Database: A multi-instrumental dataset with expressive performance attributes In ISMIR, 2018.
- Semantically Decomposing the Latent Spaces of Generative Adversarial Networks In ICLR, 2018.
- Exploring Speech Enhancement with Generative Adversarial Networks for Robust Speech Recognition In ICASSP (oral), 2018.
- Disentangled Representations of Style and Content for Visual Art with Generative Adversarial Networks In NIPS Workshop on Machine Learning for Creativity and Design, 2017.
- Dance Dance Convolution In ICML, 2017.
- Extended Convolution Techniques for Cross-Synthesis In ICMC, 2016.
- Applications of Genetic Programming to Digital Audio Synthesis Undergraduate honors thesis TR-2156, 2013.
- (Summer 2018) Internship at Google Magenta (Music generation w/ Ian Simon and Sander Dieleman)
- (Summer 2017) Internship at Google (Speech recognition w/ Bo Li and Rohit Prabhavalkar)
- (Summer 2016) Internship at Google Search
- (Summer 2015) Internship at Google Play Music (MIR w/ Nicolas Boulanger-Lewandowski)
- (2011-2014) Mentor for UT Freshman Research Initiative w/ Joel Lehman and Risto Miikkulainen
- (Summer 2014) Internship at Famigo
- (Summer 2013) Internship at Docbook MD
- (Summer 2012) Internship at Qualcomm
- (Summer 2011) Internship at UT Applied Research Laboratories
- Business Insider A Google intern helped build an AI tool inspired by 'Guitar Hero' to let rookies play piano
- The Verge Google’s AI-powered Piano Genie lets anyone improvise perfectly by bashing buttons
- Evening Standard Piano Genie: Google's AI programme is like Guitar Hero for the piano world
- Engadget Google’s Piano Genie lets anyone improvise classical music
- MIT Tech Review Machine-Learning Algorithm Watches DDR, Then Creates Dances of Its Own
- The Verge Scientists have taught a neural network to choreograph Dance Dance Revolution levels
- The Register Yet another job menaced by AI! Uh, wait, it says here... Dance Dance Revolution designers
- Vice This Machine Learned to Choreograph by Watching Dance Dance Revolution
- (2018) Transcribe a batch of solo piano recordings to MIDI (link)
- (2017) PhD qualifying examination (pdf)
- (2016) Master's thesis (pdf)
- (2015) Prototype for MOOC on computer music fundamentals using Web Audio API (link)
- (2015) Mobile-friendly, networked musical controller (demo)
- (2014) Multichannel convolution reverb plugin (screenshot, code, windows vst)
- (2013) OpenGL 3D spectrogram (page, code)
- (2012-2014) Played keyboard for Food Group
Last updated 2018/12/27